MISTAKE #6: THINKING EVERYONE IS YOUR PROSPECT
It’s a very common training mantra in the network marketing industry by upline leaders. It’s also a very dangerous one than can lead you down a path of futility and lack of results fast.
The mantra goes something like this: Make sure to prospect everyone within 3 feet of you because everyone needs what we have.
Now just think about that for a second. Is that even true?
I can’t think of anything perhaps other than say things like oxygen, water, and heat that everyone needs. This list of things that everyone needs is very, very small and I can guarantee you that your network marketing products or services are NOT on the list of things EVERYONE needs.
It’s kinda silly when you stop to think about it.
It’s critical to the success of your business that you rid yourself of this belief because it actually limits you in your business. It’s counterintuitive but it’s absolutely true. When you build a business thinking everyone is your prospect you are actually limiting yourself.
● Time is money. It’s crucial you are only spending your time talking to qualified prospects. Every second that you are not talking to a qualified prospect is costing you money.
● You want to work with business owner minded people right? Most people, especially your friends and family, are not sitting around thinking and dreaming about owning a business that can provide them the time freedom and financial freedom you are after. It’s just not their reality. Therefore, what’s likely to happen is you get them all wound up emotionally about this great opportunity to which they say YES to. You’re excited and they are excited, but there is just one problem. Your new team member has no perspective on what it really takes to build a business. So, once they begin to face the reality and the adversity that building a business brings next thing you know they are deep into the witness protection program and you’ve just wasted a whole bunch of time with someone who has wrong thinking about what it takes to be successful. Trust me when I say you’d rather recruit four (4) business owner minded people than 100 non-business owner minded. You can build a million dollar business with those four. With the 100 you’ll just create a lot of agony and frustration on your way to being broke.
● Would you try and sell steak to a vegetarian? Of course not. So stop trying to sell a business to someone who just wants the safety and security they believe a job provides.
The Truth is this: Everyone is NOT your prospect. Stop limiting yourself by believing such tom foolery.
Here’s a quick, funny story. I once believed in the “everyone’s my prospect” mantra. So what I did was dress up in a nice suit, grabbed all my promotional DVD’s and went down to the main business district in Denver, Colorado where I live. I would go down there from 6:30 am to 8:00 am in the morning. Then again from 4:30 pm to 6:00 pm in the evening and because I had this belief I would approach completely random strangers and offer them a DVD with an opportunity to change their life.
I laugh at myself thinking about it.
Did it work? Of course not, because everyone was not and is not my prospect. The same is true for you.
Here’s something to consider that’s been a theme throughout this entire list of big mistakes. I often share this consideration with my high performance coaching clients.
This is what I tell them: The only thing that stands between you and everything you want to achieve inside your business is your own T-H-I-N-K-I-N-G. That’s it and what our time together so far has been really about is helping you adjust how you think about building your business, because until you fix your thinking nothing else matters.
Remember this: Amateurs think everyone is their prospect. Top recruiters know better. They think time is money and they don’t have time to waste with just anyone so they think critically about how to get in front
And finally we have Mistake #7.MISTAKE #7: GOING ALONE
Latest posts by Chris White (see all)
- MLM Tips | Ethically Steal 10 Questions Top Recruiters Ask Propsects - June 29, 2016
- 3 Reasons Why I Gave My Warm Market The Finger - April 17, 2016
- 7 Key Strategies Top Earners Use To Win Big - April 17, 2016